10 Facts about Slip and Fall Accidents in LA
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common types suffered by Louisianans. These types of accidents cause a lot of insurance claims every year and can happen almost anywhere. In some cases, people need to use the services of Louisiana slip and fall attorneys for serious injuries and other damages.
5 Facts You Should Know
- According to the CDC, over one million Americans suffer injuries in slip and fall accidents every year. And over 17,000 people die as a result. Many of these injuries happen during colder months as snow and ice contribute to slippery conditions.
- The most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) is slip and fall accidents. TBIs are permanent injuries to the brain that can have a variety of effects on the victim, including loss of coordination, problems with speaking, and even paralysis.
- Over 40 percent of spinal injuries are caused by slip and fall accidents. These injuries can occur at any point on the spine from the base of the neck down to the lowest point of the back.
- Each year in the United States, one of every three persons over the age of 65 will experience a fall. Half of those who fall have fallen at least once in the past. The risk of serious injury increases with each fall.
- Also, older adults are five times more likely to be hospitalized due to a fall than from any other type of injury. Many of these falls happen in or around the home.
5 More Facts
- 46% of all fatal falls for older Americans happen from slip and fall accidents.
- Also, slip and fall injuries make up about 20% of all accidents in the workplace. Many of these occur on manufacturing floors and in office spaces, but can happen in just about any working environment.
- 85% of worker’s comp claims are attributed to slips on slick floors. Slick floors can occur with standing water, also chemical spills, and any time liquids come into contact with walking surfaces.
- Falls claim at least 6,000 lives every year. That is well ahead of the other top four causes of accidental deaths in the home: poisoning, fires, airway obstructions, and water.
- Lastly, between 20-30% of people who experience slip and fall accidents get moderate to severe injury.
Call in Louisiana Slip and Fall Attorneys
If you or a loved one suffer from a slip and fall accident, please seek medical attention immediately. What seems like a minor incident can cause hidden injuries which can be major.
The next step is to consider whether you will need legal representation. If your slip and fall occurred in a public location or in a private business, you may have a claim for compensation. That is when you should consult with skilled Louisiana slip and fall attorneys about your situation.
Mike Brandner Injury Attorneys can help. We answer our calls 24/7. We offer free consults and will also handle your case with no fee unless you win your case. Contact us today.
The information on this blog is for general information purposes only. Nothing herein should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.