Get Help from a Wrongful Death Lawyer in New Orleans
Losing a loved one in a fatal car accident is a heartbreaking, tragic event. It can be even more painful if his or her death was caused by another driver’s negligence and thus could have been prevented. If that’s the case, a wrongful death lawyer in New Orleans can help you understand your rights and whether you may be able to take legal action in a wrongful death case.
In this blog, the legal team at Mike Brandner Injury Attorneys explain how a wrongful death lawyer in New Orleans may be able to help surviving family members recover damages for funeral expenses and other losses.
Proving the Other Driver’s Fault
If your loved one was killed in a car accident, you and your attorney will need to prove that the other driver’s behavior was negligent; that his or her actions caused your loved one’s death and that the death caused the damages you’re trying to recover.
The sooner you contact a wrongful death lawyer in New Orleans, the sooner your attorney can help you gather evidence that helps support your case. This may include evidence of some of the following actions by the other driver:
- Drunk driving;
- Driving under the influence of illegal or prescribed drugs that could cause impairment;
- Driving too fast for conditions;
- Failure to yield the right of way; or,
- Lastly, failure to stop at a red light or stop sign.
Types of Compensation
Nothing can truly compensate you for the loss of a loved one.
However, you may be able to receive money for the following types of losses:
- Loss of the deceased’s future income.
- Medical costs that the deceased incurred prior to death due to the car accident.
- Loss of an inheritance because of your loved one’s death.
- Pain and suffering incurred by the deceased prior to death.
- Loss of the deceased’s love, companionship, guidance, and nurturing.
- Burial costs.
- Loss of the value of services provided by the deceased.
Get Help From a Wrongful Death Lawyer in New Orleans
If you’ve lost a loved one in a car accident that was the fault of another driver, contact a wrongful death lawyer in New Orleans at Mike Brandner Injury Attorneys today. Our attorneys will provide you with excellent, compassionate representation.