Deaf and Need a Lawyer? Here’s What You Need to Know
Hearing loss can be a natural process or one brought on by injury from an accident or negligence. In either case, those who are deaf and need a lawyer may find difficulty finding legal representation they trust. When you need help, look no further than Mike Brandner Injury Attorneys.
Types of Hearing Loss, Disorders, & Symptoms
Many people don’t realize how many types of hearing loss exist and related disorders and symptoms. Here are just a few:
- Conductive hearing loss, which occurs when any part of the ear has difficulty conducting sound waves.
- Sensorineural hearing loss, caused by either the inner ear or vestibulocochlear nerve. This is the most common type of hearing loss.
- Moderate hearing loss, having difficulty understanding speech, especially if there is background noise.
- Localization difficulties, a form of hearing impairment which makes it difficult to locate the origin of a sound.
- Tinnitus, a symptom of the underlying condition of hearing loss that causes constant ringing in the ears.
- Hyperacusis, a hearing disorder that causes extreme sensitivity to sound.
Any of these hearing loss conditions, disorders, or symptoms may radically change someone’s life. From hearing aids to learning sign language, there is a cost to adapting to life with hearing loss. These assistive devices and therapeutic costs may be reduced with the help of an attorney.
If you are deaf and need a lawyer due to an accident or an act of negligence, contact Mike Brandner Injury Attorneys. Doing so is a step in the right direction towards getting you the support you need through any life-style transition and legal situation.
Injuries that Cause Hearing Loss
Hearing loss is sometimes handed down through generations. Other conditions can be the result of a disease or a tumor.
However, injuries from accidents and negligence can cause hearing problems as well. It is especially devastating when the injury could have been prevented.
Some personal injuries that cause hearing loss include:
- Loud and consistent sounds
- Sudden loud sounds like an explosion
- Hole in the eardrum
- Damage to the middle ear, between the outer ear and the auditory cortex of the brain
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Damage to the small bones of the inner ear
- Tissue/membrane damage inside the ear
- Disruption of blood flow to the cochlear nerve
To help lessen your chance of developing a hearing loss condition caused by the injuries above, it is important to educate yourself. Understanding what may cause these injuries is the first step.
What Causes Hearing Injuries?
Many of these injuries can occur during a violent event, like a car, truck, motorcycle, bike, bus, or boating accident. Even a seemingly simple rear-ending might affect your hearing, as collisions like these often cause whiplash and concussion. More violent vehicle accidents may cause more intense damage, like the injury to the small bones in the ear noted above, and TBI.
Slip and fall injuries also cause head injuries and subsequent hearing problems. If you suffer an injury from any of these accidents, reach out to our Louisiana personal injury lawyers today.
What Should I Do After I Suffer Hearing Damage?
There are a number of things you should do if you suffer an injury in a vehicle or slip and fall accident, or due to an act of negligence. If you suffered any sort of head injury/trauma or realize that you have been affected by defective product:
- Seek medical help right away.
- Take physical notes of any changes in hearing you may notice.
- Reach out to Mike Brandner Injury Attorneys for a free consultation.
- Save any evidence and artifacts you can from your accident/insurance company.
- Share these with your attorney.
- Take time to heal, and let Mike Brandner’s legal team keep artifacts organized and stored in a safe place.
- Continue to take notes on how your healing is progressing.
- Keep in touch with your attorney.
Having a personal injury attorney on your side after a life-changing accident can make all the difference. It’s of utmost importance to have a lawyer represent your case to seek compensation for injuries, and it isn’t difficult to find one.
Finding a Lawyer for Any Personal Injury
If you are deaf and need a lawyer, you may be tempted to look for a lawyer who is also deaf. It may seem that this will help your case along and make it easier for both you and your attorney to communicate. However, as law is an extremely complex subject, it is much more important to have a lawyer who specializes in your type of case.
For instance, you suffered hearing loss after a violent car crash caused by a drunk driver. You then do a search for a deaf personal injury attorney, but can only find a deaf lawyer who specializes in divorce cases. In this scenario, the deaf lawyer you found is not the best lawyer for your case as they do not specialize in personal injury cases.
So, the key takeaway here is to make sure that you seek the legal experience of a personal injury attorney on your side, such as those at Mike Brandner Injury Attorneys. Our legal team will do everything we can to accommodate your needs, as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) dictates.
ADA and Private Lawyers
The Americans with Disabilities Act set many wonderful things in motion for people with disabilities. Through this act, all deaf people have the right to equal access to a private attorney’s services. This means that your attorney must make the accommodations necessary to facilitate effective communication with you. They may do this through interpreters, assistive hearing devices, and more.
The National Association for the Deaf also works to set in place Communication Access Funds, or CAF, for legal services. Unfortunately, very few states have this set in place. Louisiana does not yet have access to CAF.
Thankfully, you are not alone. If you are deaf and need a lawyer, Mike Brandner Injury Attorneys is available around the clock to help.
How to Work with Your Lawyer
Working with us is very easy. During your completely free consultation, you will communicate your specific needs to a representative at Mike Brandner Injury Attorneys. From that point forward, you’ll just keep us up to date on your status and any communication needs. Through effective communication and teamwork, we will be able to get results by working hard on your case.
Mike Brandner Injury Attorneys
If you are suffering from an injury that caused your hearing loss, or are deaf due to an accident or negligence and need a lawyer, please contact Mike Brandner Injury Attorneys today. We are your 24/7 Injury Attorneys!
The information on this blog is for general information purposes only. Nothing herein should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.