Dangerous Common Household Items
Sadly, safety assumptions can lead to serious accidents for you and your loved ones that require assistance from personal injury attorneys Louisiana. Don’t take chances with the safety of your family.
7 Products to Ban from Your Household
- Sometimes the solution to one problem simply creates another one to take its place. A flame retardant chemical known as TDCPP, banned from clothing use in the 1970s due to cancer-causing properties, now appears in upholstered furniture and baby items.
- PFOA, a substance used in Teflon and other non-stick cookware, listed by the International Agency for Research on Cancer as “Possibly Carcinogenic in Humans.”
- Mothballs are composed of nearly 100 percent active insecticides. They lose their solid state and turn into toxic vapors. Children and pets can become seriously ill from ingesting mothballs.
- Commercial oven cleaners have caustic chemicals that burns skin on contact and damage delicate membranes if the inhaling the fumes. They also present a danger to children and pets that may accidentally ingest them. DIY cleaners are better for your health and the environment.
- If you want a fresh-smelling home, open some windows. Air fresheners, along with other scented products, contain hormone-disrupting chemicals that bind the fragrance to the product.
- While carpeting itself is not a danger, the glues and dyes used with them are known sources of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), associated with health risks ranging from respiratory difficulties to cancer.
- Lastly, pressed-wood furniture made from plywood, particleboard or fiberboard may seem innocuous. The adhesives can contain formaldehyde. This pungent, flammable chemical can cause upper-respiratory allergic reactions. Long-term exposure leads to an increased risk of leukemia and brain cancer.
Personal Injury Attorneys Louisiana
No matter what precautions you take to maintain a safe home, threats can lurk where you least expect them. Especially, in other households and businesses. Injured by a common household item? We will help you every step of the way to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.